July 8, 2011

Starving Buddha In Peshawar

As my own freedom of movement is rather limited, I have become an increasingly grateful "personne accompagnante" in the true sense of the word - taking advantage of official and professional visits  that offer me the required protection. Eager to see whatever is possible in this country and happy to be able to do so under the current circumstances.

A visit to the Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly called "North West Frontier Province") in Peshawar allows me one of these trips, that otherwise would be impossible.
Entering the city by car from Islamabad, some interesting shops frame the roadside - as unusual as it seems to me, the sight of stores that sell arms and explosives, does not seem any more special to the locals than the car supplies warehouse or household utilities shop on the same street.




The tight Hotel's security measures that include screening of all luggage 100 yards away from the Hotel entrance seem perfectly logical to me, realizing only then how one gets used to the strangest circumstances.

Of course, I don't get permission to visit the old town - after being tempted by narratives how wonderful the market is, oldest city of skilled copper and silversmiths, a trading center of semi precious stones, emerald mines in the region,...  No, I head to the tiny Hotel shop instead, that, I am told, is brand new and absolutely worth a visit!
A look at the bookshelves offers an interesting choice - no books about the beauties of the city or nature of this area, hiking trails, museums or  landmarks. Not even toothbrush or shampoo. No - books of totally different topics:



Still, the young shopkeeper, who offers to bring anything from his father's main shop to the Hotel, really anything that I would be interested in, has a beautiful fertility figure among his small collection of beads. That's it, nothing else. Needless to say that I opened my purse without hesitation to buy it - broken and repaired with non matching parts of another figure, but surprisingly touching in its frailty and expression!

The sight of a lovely swimming pool in the middle of the patio lets me regret that I forgot my bathing suit - for a moment, only until I realize it would be of little use. Unless I had a burkini (I leave it to your imagination what this dress for swimming purposes looks like). No sight of men in bathing suits - i.e. knickerbockers - either.

The Peshawar Museum -  the former British Officer's Ball house -  has a unique collection of Gandhara figures and reliefs from various sights within Pakistan's ancient Peshawar valley in today's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. Gandhara - a civilisation under many different rulers (Alexander the Great one of them) from the 6th cent. BC to the year 1000 AC, Buddhism the main religion at the time.
Walking slowly with the curator of the museum through the first floor the story of Buddha's life unfolds, hammered in stone, until we reach the fasting Buddha. To overcome the cycle of birth and rebirth was his endeavor that he  tried to achieve by fasting over six years with nothing more than a single sesame seed or grain of rice per day as food. This sculpture survived in three pieces, but the serenity of the face, his eyes recessed and hollow, the veins subtly carved on the front, the ribcage barely covered by skin only, reminds strangely of figures of Christ dying on the cross dating back to the same period in churches and cathedrals throughout Europe.






Luckily, the enlightenment came, that ultimate wisdom can not be achieved by denying life and so Buddha ended his fasting at the last moment and continued his life journey.
 The museum, empty but for the staff, a Pakistani family and a handful of students, used to be one of the highlights for tourists. Now it is sadly silent and the curator tells us that they exchanged most of the light bulbs for our visit, as poor quality of the bulbs, the changing current of electricity and load shedding breaks them too easily and lets darkness fall into the showcases.

During dinner we get the news about another bomb blast with casualties - luckily not too close to our place.
Returning to Islamabad the next evening we learn about the abduction of a Swiss couple traveling through Baluchistan, heading towards Quetta. We will only know once they are hopefully free again, what made them choose this dangerous itinerary.

Hopefully more cheerful news to follow - for now I am just gliding in the warm water of the pool behind the white marble wall and a Lassi Drink - salty or sweet -  is waiting for me...

8 comments:

Carla said...

Spannend und wunderbar deskriptiv! Ich habe diesen Blog mit besonderem Interesse gelesen und freue mich bereits auf den nächsten! Best of thanks!

Nella Habsburg said...

Dear Regula,
this "letter"is so interesting, very sad, and at the same time, extremely fascinating.
You are such a sensitive writer, I feel as if I am there, with you; seeing, feeling, smelling. I can not stop thinking of "another" Pakistan: the Pakistan that was home to my dear friends Arnaz and Jamshid Marker;(Permanent Representatives to the U.N in the 90's) a beautiful, open country with so much to offer and display.
I am sure that your experiences will walk with you all your life. Thank you for sharing them with us, this way it "brushes" over us also.
take care dear friend and enjoy every possible moment. Love, Nella

Roberta Dougherty said...

As Nella observes, your descriptions are so vivid and tactile that I too feel as if I am there.

I think that in these slices of life in Pakistan you are providing a historic document as well.

That drink sounds wonderful.

Love,
Roberta

Sheila Lyall Grant said...

Thank you Regula for bringing Pakistan alive so vividly to us all through your blog. It saddens me that so much has changed but you capture the street life and spirit well.

Glad to hear that Diplomatic life is looking after you well and that the compound clubs are still thriving. Your photograph is lovely.

Love, Sheila

Ursula said...

Dear Regula - I am reading the preceding comments and want to add only that you pick exactly the right vignettes for your observation so that a very vivid impression is conveyed to the reader. (But I would like to see what a Burkini looks like!)
I am looking forward to next instalment
best
Ursula

Regula Bubb said...

Many, many thanks for all your wonderful and very encouraging comments! I am really touched by so many thoughtful and interesting responses and your great interest!

Dear Ursula, I will gladly bring you a Burkini to NY, just let me know the size!

Unknown said...

Hello, this is so nice, I was there too, and Pakistan has so much to love. I have only heard the statue referred to as "The Fasting Buddha", altho I, too, wanted to call it "The Starving Buddha". Maybe some time you can enjoy Taxila.

Regula Bubb said...

Dear Ann, how lovely that you have been there to - really sad that there is no one but some diplomats from Islamabad visiting these days!
I have been to Taxila many times, the curator is becoming a kind of a friend… The tranquility and the spirituality of the ancient monasteries in that region are wonderful!

Post a Comment